Students took part in 62 live Chats, writing 14,863 lines, and asked 532 follow-up questions.
From their classrooms students across Ireland took part in activities that support their Science Capital: they asked questions about science; they engaged with, and got to know, Irish researchers, engineers, and STEM professionals; they learnt about the transferability of science; and they saw STEM as relevant to their daily lives.
This report summarises our 2021 activities.
Read the report: I’m a Scientist and I’m an Engineer Ireland 2021: Summary Report [PDF]
- We ran 3 Zones:
- One I’m an Engineer Zone: Kilogram.
- Two I’m a Scientist Zone: Magnesium and Sustainability.
- 1,045 students from 28 schools took part:
- 86% of students actively engaged through joining live Chats, asking questions, posting comments, and casting votes.
- 54% of participating schools were in SFI target counties, 29% were DEIS schools.
- Students took part in activities which support the dimensions of Science Capital, including: science literacy, seeing science as relevant to everyday life, knowledge about the transferability of science/science qualifications, and especially, knowing people in science-related jobs.
- 48 scientists and 30 engineers took part:
- Scientists and engineers increased their skills, confidence, and enthusiasm towards public engagement.