The Smart Data Zone was a themed zone supported by Science Foundation Ireland and involved five scientists:
- Sheila Castilho, the winner of the zone, is a postdoctoral researcher, teaching computers how to translate
- Piyush Arora is also a postdoctoral researcher, trying to make learning and searching through the internet more convenient and easy
- Natalia Resende is looking at translation systems such as Google translate and analysis data to discover ways in which they can be improved
- Gary Munnelly teaches computers how to read books and other text-based resources to help historians study the past
- Dimitar Shterionov is a postdoctoral researcher at ADAPT Centre working on machine translation between different languages
Students in this zone showed a general interest in the zone’s theme, asking questions about data but also discussing more widely computers, languages and coding. Nearly a third of the questions put to scientists in ASK concerned careers and education.