The Environmental Care Zone was a themed zone for primary schools, supported by Science Foundation Ireland.
- William McCarthy is a PhD student researching how contamination gets into food and how we can stop that from happening
- Roberto Ferrari studies how honeybees communicate with each other
- Karen O’Neill works with freshwater pearl mussels aiming to understand the quality of the rivers they live in
- Jasmine Headlam, this zone’s winner, studies jellyfish venom and uses computers to identify the different components
- Chinna Devarapu builds circuits for light to find bugs in water
This was the busiest zone in November’s I’m a Scientist Ireland, with over 2,000 questions sent to the scientists in ASK. More students joined the Environmental Care Zone evening live chat than any other zone, across all I’m a Scientist zones this November.